A quick picture with Patty in honor of my last day at work
About a week later, I finally got up the courage to give it to him. I kept reciting to myself the quote that my friend Spencer had as his facebook status: "Really, sharing the gospel should be just as easy as giving out free money." and I asked myself, if I had a friend who was in desperate need of money, and I had extra money sitting around...just for that purpose even...would I hesitate to at least give it to that friend? Of course not. And I could see Pat's need for the gospel everytime I looked at him. So I realized that despite the risk of offending Pat, I was being a worse friend for not sharing what I had for him. So I took it to work with me, and I gave it to him as I got off work along with the letter. Much to my delight, he was not insulted at all, and it didn't change our friendship at all. He told me the next day that he is keeping the book in his car. I started praying that he would find it there after a rough day and decide to read it. He is truly such a strong and amazing person that I knew he would feel something, and it could only help him.
Today was my last day of work, and much to my suprise, before I left Pat told me that he had been reading it, and that he had pulled out his old copy from when he was 8 years old, and that he had read all of his favorite stories again. I was so excited, and so happy for him. I can't even explain the joy that I felt inside over it. Seeing signs of happiness in him, and distinctive changes-he's always censored himself around me, but I had a friend tell me that she had noticed him censoring himself around everyone lately-just lights up my day. I adore him, and would honestly do ANYTHING to make him happy, and the thought that he could finally be learning how amazing he is, and how to be truly happy makes me happier than I think most anything else could.
After this experience, I wonder to myself why anyone would not want to serve a mission. It feels so good to be able to share this truth in my life with someone. I know you can't try to share it with just anyone. I know that most of my friends from the theater wouldn't be interested, and wouldn't touch the book...they might even be insulted. But that's because their need isn't as deep as Pat's was at the time. I can't describe how it feels to help someone like that. I want to share that feeling with everyone. I got a letter from my friend Lucas who is on his mission just today, and I think he worded it amazingly well when he said: "Missionary work is some of the hardest and most rewarding work I've ever done. It's great to see how the Lord uses us from day to day to accomplish his work." I really couldn't say it better myself. I can't wait to get out there and be able to focus all my energy on serving the Lord, and bring my brothers and sisters back home to see our Father. Because that is really what missionary work is about.
My testimony is stronger right now than ever. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life. It does so much for me!! I'm just going to wrap up with one more quote from Lucas' letter: "The church is true the Book is Blue!"

No comments:
Post a Comment